CROSS COUNTRY GRAND PRIX
Dates for 2023 / 2024 series now available
Ryston Runners AC provide an Open Cross-Country Grand Prix Series every year - 6 races - from October to March. Races take place in woods at Shouldham Warren, in West Norfolk, on various Sundays starting at 10:30am (Please see below for details). These races are suitable for runners of all ages (juniors through to masters) and all abilities.
Shouldham Warren is a beautiful undulating wooded area with well developed trails. The runs predominantly stick to the main fire break trails that scatter the warren. Underfoot conditions vary dependant upon the weather. In dry conditions some trails can get sandy, in wet conditions certain areas can get particularly muddy. Thats why its called cross country, right?!
These events are still organised as they have been for the last 30+ years. We deliver a stripped back, no frills racing experience. Don't worry, we still comply with the relevant safety standards and medical provision requirements but there are some things you should know before you come:
- Prizes are modest
- Entry fee and refreshments are cheap
- Toilets available
- Any payment on the day is cash only
- There is no chip timing
- Full results will be posted here in the evening of each race
What we expect of anyone coming along:
- Respect our volunteers and respect your fellow runners
- Keep the start/finish area clear during racing, waiting for the last runner to finish before rushing to the start line in order to comply with the point above
- Pick up your own litter as well as that of your dog(s)
- Please don't expect your time + position to be available as soon as you have crossed the line
- Familiarise yourself with your route (arrows have been known to be moved by the public)
Race Dates for 2023/2024 Season:
Sunday October 15 2023
Sunday November 12th 2023
Sunday December 17th 2023
Sunday January 14th 2024
Sunday February 11th 2024
Sunday March 10th 2024
10:30 - Under 9 (up to Year 4): 800m
10:40 - Under 11 (Years 5&6): 2km
11:00 - Under 13 (Years 7&8) & 15 (Years 9&10): 3km
11:20 - Under 17s/ Seniors / Masters
Under 17s alternate: 5km, 4.5km, 6.5km, 5km, 4.5km, 6.5km
Seniors (inc. U20) & Masters alternate: 5km, 9km, 6.5km, 5km, 9km, 6.5km
(Masters Categories: MM35/40/45/50/55/60/65+, FM35/40/45/50/55/60/65+)
Under 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 & Students in full time education £4
All others £8 (+£1 for on the day entries) - £2 discount for England Athletics affiliated runners
Pre-enter via our online booking system - All numbers will be collected on the day.
Entries on the day will still be available subject to a £1 additional cost and will be cash only (no change guaranteed).
All online entries - bookings will close the day before each event
On the day entries, please book in by 10:00 a.m (or at least 30 mins before your start time).
Click the link below to access our online booking system
- Prizes will be awarded to the first three in each age group/category for each days racing.
- Series prizes will be awarded to the first three in each age group according to the aggregate time for one each of 5km, 9km, 6.5km races. (5km, 4.5km, 6.5km in case of U17s). Age groups under 15 and below will aggregate their 3 best times. Masters will score in the age group for which they have 3 valid times. Mementos will be presented to non medal winners who complete the appropriate 3 races.
- There is an inter club competition in which clubs score points for finishing positions in each age group, the winner being awarded the visitors cup.
- There is a primary schools competition in which the under 9 & 11s score points for finishing positions, the first 3 schools being awarded shields.
- There is a trophy for the most improved club.
- There is an individual trophy for the outstanding performance of the series